Gold plated jewellery CARE and extra tips
A touch of gold can make any outfit look more elegant.
Gold plated jewellery is a great alternative for solid gold specially when it comes at a fraction of the price. To keep your gold-plated jewellery for longer you need some extra care to keep the gold bright and stop any fading and tarnishing.
Here are some tips on how to care for Gold Plated Jewellery:
- Do not spray on perfume or other sprays while wearing your gold plated jewellery. Wear your jewellery after you have sprayed on your favourite perfume so that chemicals on the spray or perfume does not interact with your jewellery’s metal.
- Wait until your lotion or cream is dry or has been absorbed by your skin before you wear your gold plated ring, bracelet or necklace.
- Substances like oil, nail polish, nail polish remover, chlorine, perfume and the like may react with metal/plated jewellery and will cause it to tarnish easily. This also goes with sweat, so make sure you don’t forget to remove your gold plated jewellery when you exercise or anything that would require heavy physical work, and also when swimming.
- Remember not to keep your jewellery in humid places like the bathroom.
- Every after use, clean your plated jewellery with a cotton ball or a very soft cloth to remove any dust and dirt it has acquired. Gently rubbing the surface of your gold plated jewellery using a soft jewellery cloth also helps restore shine.
- If your jewellery needs more cleaning you may clean it with warm, soapy water. Soak it for a few minutes and you may clean it with a soft brush. Stay away from jewellery cleaners and antibacterial soaps which may have certain components that will just make your gold plated jewellery tarnish more quickly.
- To avoid scratches, wrap your jewellery in a soft cloth after cleaning or keep it in a jewellery box separate from other types of jewellery you have.
- Store similar jewellery together, don’t mix gold plated with silver since the different metals can cause each other to tarnish and wear off.
- Keeping your gold-plated jewellery in a plastic bag that’s air tight stops the jewellery from tarnishing and wearing off, thanks to the lack of the oxygen contact with the metal.